5 St Andrew St
St Andrew Holborn is the largest parish church built by Sir Christopher Wren.
It’s history however, dates back over 1000 years and was first mentioned in 959 A.D. during the reign of King Edgar. A charter of Westminster Abbey alludes to an ‘old wooden church’ on the hill above the river Fleet. The building was built between the 13th-14th Century, although Roman artifacts have been found on the site meaning the area was used earlier.
Famous visitors include Henry Wriosthesley, Earl of Southampton, and godson of Henry VIII who was baptised here in 1545, and in 1618, the leading Elizabethan herbalist and close friend of Shakespeare, John Gerard, was buried here.
Unlike many of the churches in the Square Mile, St Andrew Holborn survived the Great Fire of London. However, it was still renovated by Christopher Wren, saving the medieval tower. The building remains the largest of Wren’s churches and in his typical neoclassical style, has much architectural detail.
The site was tragically reduced to ruins during the Blitz in 1941 but was faithfully restored in the Wren design and completed in 1961.
Stand out architecture includes stained glass by Brian Thomas, external sculptures, and an incredible interior, full of colour from the beautification of the 19th century.
St Andrew Holborn is an active and engaged Guild Church, worshipping in the Modern Catholic tradition. St Andrew is an exemplary Wren Church, with a great deal of historic architecture and association with famous historic figures.
Keep up to date with the latest news ...