The Guild Church of St Mary Aldermary, was founded over 900 year ago probably by Benedictine Monks from Christchurch Canterbury Priory.
The medieval building was replaced by one in the Gothic style in 1510 but was then destroyed in the Great Fire.
Reconstruction was carried out under the supervision of the Wren office, though there is no evidence that Wren himself had much of a hand in it; the parishioners were much attached to the Gothic style, for which Wren had no enthusiasm. The work was completed in 1682 and is now regarded as one of the two most important 17th century Gothic churches in England.
From January 2011, under the direction of the Bishop of London, the Moot Community, A New Monastic Community made their home at St Mary Aldermary to develop the church’s mission and ministry.
Today, the ministry is a host cafe and project promoting good coffee, pastries, hospitality and Christian Spirituality.
Keep up to date with the latest news ...