St Vedast-Alias-Foster

4 Foster Lane


St Vedast-Alias-Foster was established in the 12th century. The site is not far from St Paul’s Cathedral. It is dedicated to Saint Vedast a French saint that converted the Frankish King Clovis to Christianity. The ‘alias’ comes from the English corruption of the saint’s name starting Vedast and progressing to Foster. The church was founded by a Flemish Community in London in the 12th century.

The building has been rebuilt at least twice and then again after the Great Fire of London by Sir Christopher Wren. It was then destroyed again during the Second World War.

Nicholas Hawksmoor was likely to have built the steeple at a later stage. The interior also contains works from Grinling Gibbons such as the pulpit. In fact, much of the wood interior was made by Grinling Gibbons.

Twelve stain glass windows were added in 1849 making the building very dark.

The roof was badly damaged in the Blitz. The ceiling was restored after the war to the Wren styling with the gold leaf and aluminium donated by Goldsmiths.

The church remains today as a great example of the works of Grinling Gibbons.

Information from:


Keep up to date with the latest news ...