St Lawrence is a Guild Church located next to Guildhall in London. A church has stood on the site since the 12th Century. The name ‘Jewry’ originated from its location, which is close to the Old Jewry which is where the Jewish community lived from 1066-1290.
The building like so many, was destroyed during the Great Fire and restored by Sir Christopher Wren. It is one of Wren’s most expensive projects. This can be seen in the rich interior of white and gold. Wren’s 17th-century interior is perfectly augmented with a huge modern organ made by Johannes Klais Orgelbau. This is thought to be one of the greatest organs in the world today.
Sir Thomas More preached here, a significant clue to the church’s importance. Display cases exhibit a few artefacts rescued from the medieval church.
A superb stain-glass windows depicts Sir Christopher Wren and Grinling Gibbons, his master carver, along with Edward Strong, his master mason.
The medieval building was the official church of the Corporation of London, the city administration. It continues today as both the Civic Church of the City of London Corporation and the Mayor of London’s official church.
St Lawrence stands today as one of Wren’s finest works.
Keep up to date with the latest news ...